Here are the tallies as of Nov. 30 in the 2013 Meadowlands Big Year contest.
We have one really tight competition, and a record already — Mike Newhouse has eclipsed last year’s winning total of 211 (by Chris Takacs), and Chris has already equalled last year’s incredible total.
Congrats to all for competing. Most of the tallies are up from last year at this time.
We hope you are having fun near to home, and seeing lots of great birds.
Keep in mind that some birders are in the Meadowlands all the time, and others get here occasionally, so their birdage may differ drastically.
If your name’s not on the list and you’d like to compete, please e-mail Jim Wright at jim.wright (at) njmeadowlands.gov.
Here is the leader board as of Nov. 30:
1. Mike Newhouse 216 (NJMC, setting a target number for competitors.)
2. Chris Takacs: 211, (2012 reigning champion, ineligible for prizes in 2013 as a result, lives in district)
3. Ray Duffy, 183 (in district)
4. Jackie DeMarco, 168 (out of district)
5. Mike Wolfe, 165 species (out of district)
5. Dennis Cheeseman, 165 (out of district)
7. Zach Batren, 158 (out of district)
8. Jim Wright, 157 (NJMC staff, along for the ride)
9. Mike Turso, 138 (out of district)
10. Rob Fanning, 136 (out of district)
11. Oliver Stringham, 131 (in district)
12. Roy Woodford, 129 (out of district)
13. Julie McCall, 128 (in district).
Welcome to the first in a series of Tuesday Teaser’s devoted to Losen Slote Creek Park, the site of our fifth annual Super Bird Sunday Walk on Feb. 2.
Between now and then, we will offer a different Losen Slote-based Teaser presented by the Bergen County Audubon Society. To participate, just e-mail your answer to the Teaser each week to Jim Wright at firstname.lastname@example.org by each Tuesday at midnight, with “Teaser” marked in the subject field. The person with the highest number of correct answers will win a prize of note.
Today’s Teaser is pictured above. What is it?
Another clue follows. Continue reading
We just heard that the Meadowlands Commission’s coffee-table book, “The Nature of the Meadowlands,” was chosen as a staff pick this month by the Glen Rock Library.
The link is here.
(Thanks, Glen Rock Library!)
We had great weather and a nice turnout for Sunday’s Disposal Road/DeKorte Park bird walk — the final First Sunday of the Month for 2013.
Disposal Road raptor action was predictable but entertaining — Redtails, Harriers and Kestrels, with lots of sparrows on the way. Of note saw our first mini-raft of Canvasbacks, a sure sign that winter is around the corner.
Full list follows, along with a shot of that Red-Tail that posed so patiently for us along Disposal Road. Turns out he had a feather in his mouth. Not sure if it was his, or his meal’s. (Insert joke here.) Continue reading