It seems every time I pick up a newspaper or magazine there is a feature story on the 10 best of something or another. It might be the 10 best bagel stores or sushi shops, or maybe the 10 best cars or even the best hot dogs. It seems folks just want to know what other folks think the 10 best of anything might be.
So I thought it would about time that I attempted to list the Top 10 Best Things About birding. And and it was pretty hard to list only 10. But here we go
- Birding Connects Us to the Rest of the World – It never fails to amaze me that you can go to places like the Meadowlands or even just your backyard and see a tiny bird that just days ago was in South America or the Arctic. Birding has an amazing way of giving us a perspective and understanding that brings everything about nature and people closer together
- Birders Are Great People– I have been lucky enough to meet some of the kindest and most unselfish people while out birding. There is nothing better than getting outside to enjoy what we love best and being in the company of wonderful friends.
- Birding Is the Great Equalizer – I have birded with people for years and still have no idea what they do for a living. And best of all it does not matter. When we get outside and enjoy nature there are no doctors, lawyers or janitors. Only birders.
- Getting a Life Bird – Hard to explain to the uninitiated how exciting it is to see a bird you have never seen before. I have known some folks that nearly had a fainting spell when a rare or new bird was seen from their binoculars
- Seeing New Places– No matter if it’s a new birding spot around the corner or around the world visiting new places is always exciting and gives us great new experiences and usually great new birds to go along with it!
- Many Ways to Enjoy Birding– One of the great things about birding is that there is no one way to enjoy it. You can bird the backyard, the state or the world and yet no matter what way you choose to enjoy it, you are still a birder.
- Learning Something New Every Time Out -If you don’t learn something new every time you are out birding then you are not paying attention. Whether it’s a new bird, new bird behavior, a new plant or an insect, being outdoors will always bring us more knowledge.
- Birding at Dawn– Being out at dawn and listening to the birds and the world awaken is amazing. If you have not tried it, you need to. You will see the world in a whole new way.
- Introducing New People to Birding – There is nothing like seeing the smile on someone’s face when they see an eagle or even a Red-winged blackbird for the very first time. Introducing someone to nature and to our bird life will always bring me the greatest joy.
- Telling Birding Stories– Next to birding itself, telling stories about birding is almost as good. When we are not birding or when birding is slow we all love to tell our very own special birding stories to anyone that will listen. In the end it is all about the birds, the days afield, and the friends and the stories we made along the way .
What are the Top ten things you love about birding ? Please let me know.You can reach me at firstname.lastname@example.org.