Congrats to all for competing. We hope you are having fun close to home, and seeing lots of great birds.
Keep in mind that some birders are in the Meadowlands all the time, and others get here occasionally, so their birdage may differ.
(These are unofficial numbers, and obviously change all the time.)
If you're name's not on the list, please e-mail Jim Wright at jim.wright (at) njmeadowlands.gov. It's not too late to participate!
Here is the leader board:
1. Chris Takacs: 110 (lives in district; counting birds within district boundaries, not district towns)
2. Mike Newhouse 108 (NJMC naturalist, setting a target number for competitors)
3. Julie McCall: 105 species (lives in district)
4. Ray Duffy: 100 (lives in district)
5. Doug Morel: 97 (out of district)
6. Ramon Gomez 96 (out of district)
7. Jim Wright: 94 (NJMC staff)
8. Roy Woodford: 85 (out of district)
9. Lillian Rivera: 84 (out of district)
10. Dennis Cheeseman: 75 (out of district)
11. Rob Fanning: 68 (out of district)
One question that arose in April was whether birds seen at Liberty State Park and environs should be included, since part of Jersey City is inside the Meadowlands District. We decided that since that area is such a distinctly different birding area, those birds should not be included. Sorry if this messes anybody up…
P.S. If any competitors would like to join Mike Newhouse for his daily morning bird-banding, let us know. You can reach him via Jim Wright at the e-mail address above.
P.P.S.: Denise Farrell of the Bergen County Audubon Society tells us that 84 species have been seen so far on our twice-monthly bird walks this year. (Thanks, Denise!)
Still time to join the fun! (Congrats to all!)