Here are the final tallies of the 2013 Meadowlands Big Year contest.
What a year — we had two birders break Chris Takacs 2012 record of 211 species — NJMC Naturalist Mike Newhouse had a total of 220 species, and Chris was not far behind at 213.
The top winners this year are Ray Duffy with 187 species (lives in the district) and Dennis Cheeseman with 171 species (lives out of district). Jackie DeMarco placed a close second with170 species, and Zach Batren and Mike Wolfe were close behind. A great job by all entrants!
Each winner receives their choice of a copy of “The Nature of the Meadowlands,” the NJMC’s coffee-table book, or “Meadowlands,” Tom Yezerski’s wonderful children’s book — plus a signed Osprey print from Tom’s book.
In addition — and most important — the Bergen County Audubon Society is donating $220 in Ray’s name to the NJMC for native plants. (Thank you, BCAS!) The top three winners in each category will receive a certificate from the Bergen County Audubon Society at the group’s next meeting, on Wednesday at the Teaneck Creek Conservancy, 20 Puffin Way, Teaneck.
Congrats to all for competing. Most of the tallies are up from last year — a testament to the great birding we had in the Meadowlands in 2013.
We hope you had fun near to home, and saw lots of great birds.
Keep in mind that some birders were in the Meadowlands all the time, and others got here occasionally, so their birdage may differ drastically.
Final tallies follow.
1. Mike Newhouse 220 (NJMC, setting a target number for competitors.)
2. Chris Takacs: 213, (2012 champion, ineligible for prizes in 2013 as a result, lives in district)
3. Ray Duffy, 187 (in district)
4. Dennis Cheeseman, 171 (out of district)
5. Jackie DeMarco, 170 (out of district)
6. Zach Batren, 167 (out of district)
7. Mike Wolfe, 166 species (out of district)
8. Jim Wright, 162 (NJMC staff, along for the ride)
9. Rob Fanning, 139 (out of district)
10. Mike Turso, 138 (out of district)
11. Roy Woodford, 133 (out of district)
12. Oliver Stringham, 131 (in district)
13. Julie McCall, 128 (in district).