NJMC Naturalist Mike Newhouse alerted us to three Red-breasted Mergansers swimming in Teal Pool, visible from Disposal Road (where else?), half-way between the Carillon and the bend in the road leading to DeKorte Park. (Thanks, Mike!)
Another season of the Meadowlands Commission's popular guided canoe trips begins in June, but you can start reserving a spot now.
You can download the canoe-tours registration form, with plenty of vital info, here:
Congrats to all for competing. We hope you are having fun near to home, and seeing lots of great birds.
Keep in mind that some birders are in the Meadowlands all the time, and others get here occasionally, so their birdage may differ.
(These are unofficial numbers, and obviously change all the time.)
If you're name's not on the list, please e-mail Jim Wright at jim.wright (at) njmeadowlands.gov. It's still early! Sign up now!
Here is the leader board as of Feb. 28:
1. Chris Takacs: 89, (2012 reigning champion, ineligible for prizes in 2013 as a result, lives in district)
2. Ray Duffy, 77 (in district)
3. Mike Newhouse 74 (NJMC, setting a target number for competitors)
4. Jackie DeMarco, 72 (out of district)
5. Jim Wright, 69 (NJMC staff, ineligible for prizes)
6. Mike Wolfe, 68 species (out of district)
7. Oliver Stringham, 67 (in district)
8. Dennis Cheeseman, 64 (out of district)
9. Julie McCall, 63 (in district)
10. Roy Woodford 54 (out of district)
11. Mike Turso 49 (out of district)
12. Rob Fanning 38 (out of district)
A list of last year's totals of Feb. 28 follow.